Farmers market recipes: An abundance of tomatoes | Health
Tuesday morning I stopped by the Fair Market in Tyler, located at the fairgrounds just off Erwin Street. Under the livestock arena, I saw a group of farmers who'd backed their trucks up under the shelter and had unloaded their treasures, filling tables with all kinds of locally-grown, beautiful produce.
The produce ranged from green and red tomatoes of all types to abundant varieties of squash, herbs, onions, new potatoes, and purple hull peas and pinto beans. Each table was a colorful masterpiece that made the chef in me imagine all kinds of wonderful recipes!
The farmers are at the Fair Market each Tuesday and Saturday from 7:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. (or earlier if they sell out.) Make sure to drop by and get some of this beautiful abundance for yourself!
Here are a few recipes you might like to try to use those fabulous tomatoes I saw at the Fair Market today!
Chicken-asparagus pasta toss (simple to make and really good with grape or cherry tomatoes)
Berry-green tomato cobbler (this one is very unusual, but if you love green tomatoes, it might just be for you!)
Also note that the Fair Market and the Downtown Tyler Library Market take WIC vouchers for those of you who would like to take advantage of that! This is a great way to get your children interested in eating their vegetables; take them to the farmers market and let them actually MEET the farmer who grew their food!
You might also like: Tomatoes: Fighting cancer, being delicious
Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Ranger cheerleader tryouts moved to Dec. 13 due to possible inclement weather
- E. Texas woman dead, two men injured after Kilgore crash
- College offices will be closed Nov. 27-29 for Thanksgiving holiday
- Teen dead, another critically injured after wreck
- Kilgore fire department to take over operation of golf course
- Tyler students awarded donated bicycles for their good behavior
- HUG a Firefighter program eases kids' fears of firefighters in full gear
- Man texting and driving loses control, hits utility pole on Loop 323
- East Texans remember: 'America changed that day'
- Ables-Land Office Supply celebrates 50 years in business